Pages

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Silence speaks...

It’s been raining here for donkey’s years now. And there is encompassing silence.

My post draws inspiration from this awe-inspiring thought emanated from an eminence who I truly admire from the bottom of my heart. “It is remarkable how much the world changes when silence infests and when you are with nothing but your lone self. When there is no attention required to be given to responsibilities immediately. When there are no limits within which chores need to be attended to. When you do not have to plan, go anywhere, take care of, manage, respond and answer. When all that’s required is to sit and listen to the silence. Listen to silence? Yes! It has a sound. A sound because other sounds can be heard above it. I hear the heart pound, my breath breathe, my fingers rustle and the mind that thinks inwardly but can be heard in large volume. Many argue differently. Not always does the mind do well when in solitude. Many minds function when in the midst of the extreme. We may get our best thoughts while amongst people, while walking through the crowded streets or when in silence.”

Suddenly the whooshing sounds of the winds at the window sound so frenzied - they do the talking and become a speech to speak with the mind that is in state of nothingness.
I have always spoken to myself in volumes, reasoned beyond reasoning, often questioned to seek answers, conversed and communicated, miscalculated and revised, listened and gave into introspection. You do that to yourself don’t you? That’s natural. I am at the silence’s disposal, embraced by its spell and consumed by vague thoughts. Right now I am under circumstantial quietness. That’s what I would call it. It’s sometimes inevitable and nonessential. But still it persists.

Life continues to go on. Move on. And in this thriving silence one question lingers on you… Is your micromanagement of every moment in this world so essential? It waits for some solid answers. Even though the argument just compels me to let go of certain things which don’t see any fruition and those which are not in my hands - but then I wonder - with all my restless yearning and with this stupidly ruminative nature of mine - what do I do with my pent-up energy instead?

Silence does this to people and I am no exception.

“Saying nothing...sometimes says the most.” ~ Emily Dickinson.

No comments: