Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Where did my childhood go?

Little did I know when I was young that I was probably living the most beautiful part of my life or that the bygone days of my childhood were to be remembered as the golden period of my life.

Why is that today I just want to live my childhood again? Why is that I am missing my carefree life of my past? Why is that the moving pictures of my childhood are so vividly flashing on my mind today?

I miss so many things of my childhood today that if I were to be given a choice I would just roll twenty years down the memory lane and embrace those wonderful years of my life and would never let them go.

Where at all did my childhood go…

Where it was fun to even wait on water for hours to get our pots filled when water was scarce in the city.

Where it was fun to drench in the rains and consciously jump in the mud puddles on our way back home from the school.

Where is was fun to flock around the murmura/phalli wala (puffed rice and peanut vendor) with coins in our hands to get our pockets filled with the peanuts.

Where it was fun to bully my sis and and then laugh our bellies out while we went asleep.

Where it was fun to ride my Sunny with my sis seated at my back and speed up to hit on every available bump on our way making her jump behind and go wild.

Where it was fun to plan and pack for a month’s summer holiday to be spent at our granny’s place in Pune.

Where it was fun to go to sleep on Granny’s tales.

Where it was fun to fearlessly walk the brink of the terrace of our building at midnight.

Where it was fun to eagerly wait for the Monday outings which meant go movies and eat out.

Where it was fun to sleep with a small transistor on which almost needed a blow to get it back to function every now and then.

Where it was fun to play ‘chikkad-billa’ (hopscotch) once back home from school.

Where it was fun to show around places of interest whenever there were guests at home

Where it was fun to go to school only to meet up with friends and play antakshari whenever and wherever possible.

Where it was fun to just hide behind the door and scare and ‘bhow’ at Baba when he returned home from work.

Where it was all fun and laughs to play on the toy game of a ‘chicken laying the eggs’, where all four of us strived to get highest number of eggs from a moving chicken which laid eggs at the press of a button.

Where it was fun to cuddle up at night and listen to Baba telling us magical stories of of Dumbu and Chotu going to moon!

Where it was fun to build imaginary houses with the pillows and cushions to play a girlie ‘house-house’ with the toy kitchen sets or arrange dolly weddings or get decked up in mom’s sarees and play ‘teacher-teacher’ with a little blackboard and duster.

While writing this post I’ve realized that its very difficult to capture, share and synopsize so many years of treasure into one single page. Life had brought all these simple pleasures and many more in everyday life of my childhood that they just happen to remain as wonderful memories for me to look back and cherish them.

They say memories are golden and may be that is true.Though there’s volumes to speak on my favorite people, favorite places, favorite memories of the past...These are the joys of a lifetime...These are the things that last. To me it’s my travel bag for the lifetime.

Manasi


If it weren't for flashbacks I'd have no memory at all.

No comments: