Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Most Beautiful Words In English I Like


I was just wondering as to what and how would I answer if someone asked me, the twenty most beautiful words I could think of, in English. That’s something to ponder upon. ... Let’s begin, I would say and quickly jot down the words here, not necessarily in the order from one to twenty. And why do I consider them beautiful? I would say, they simply sound beautiful to my ears and also for what they really mean. I would add by saying, I definitely like their usage while they are uttered, when they are listened to or even tripping on them occasionally while reading. Actually you know what, nothing special about them. Still, for some reason they go right through me and love the way they make me feel and I guess are dearer to me.

Inorder to embellish their essence, listed below are quotable quotes for each of these words that I consider most beautiful in English.

Sweetheart - "That life is richer, sweeter far, for such a sweetheart as you are!”

Mother - Most of all the other beautiful things in life come by twos and threes, by dozens and hundreds. Plenty of roses, stars, sunsets, rainbows, brothers and sisters, aunts and cousins, but only one mother in the whole world." ~ Kate D. Wiggins

Butterfly -"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." ~ Hans Christian Anderson

Chocolate - "All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! Forget love - I'd rather fall in chocolate!!!"

Enthusiasm - "If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm." ~ Vince Lombardi

Eternity -
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.”
~ William Blake, "Auguries of Innocence," 1810


Laughter - "Laughter is the best medicine" ~ Proverb quotes

Delicious - "Fudge is a noun, a verb, an interjection, and delicious!" ~ Jessi Lane Adams

Tranquility - "Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings: it takes its origin from emotion recollected in tranquility." ~ William Wordsworth

Twinkle - "Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!" ~ Jane Taylor


Fantastic - "Until we're educating every kid in a fantastic way, until every inner city is cleaned up, there is no shortage of things to do." ~ Bill Gates

Darling - The poet's darling. ~ William Wordsworth, "To the Daisy"

Amazing - I thank you God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes. - E.E. Cummings

Moments - "Life gives us brief moments with another...but sometimes in those brief moments we get memories that last a life time..."

Fragrance - "Love is like a beautiful flower which I may not touch, but whose fragrance makes the garden a place of delight just the same" ~ Helen Keller

Hippopotamus - “There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud” ~ Carl Sandburg

Passion - If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sunshine - "It takes both rain and sunshine to make a rainbow."

Tomato - "A world without tomatoes is like a string quartet without violins." ~ Laurie Colwin

Dreams - "Dreams are like stars...you may never touch them, but if you follow them they will lead you to your destiny."

When I researched a bit on this I found that the British Council, the government agency that promotes British culture around the globe, quizzed more than 40,000 people in 102 non-English speaking countries on their favorite words. According to the survey results, the top ten most beautiful words in the English language are as follows:

Mother
Passion
Smile
Love
Eternity
Fantastic
Destiny
Freedom
Liberty
Tranquility


-Manasi




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing… NICE!