Pages

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Destiny


Eat, Pray, Love addresses so much about the human condition on so very many levels. It is a veritable gold mine of insights, sage advice, and exquisite writing. There are sentences I would read and get so lost in, I could not proceed and would instead close the book and savor every word contained in it.

I would like to share here an excerpt Liz Gilbert says about Destiny that I really like:

Destiny, I feel, is also a relationship – a play between divine grace and willful self effort. Half of it you have no control over; half of it is absolutely in your hands, and your actions will show measurable consequence. Man is neither entirely a puppet of gods, nor is he entirely the captain of his own destiny; he’s a little of both. We gallop through our lives like circus performers balancing on two speeding side-by-side horses - one foot is on the horse called “fate”, the other on the horse called “free will.” And the question you have to ask everyday is - which horse is which? Which horse do I need to stop worrying about because it’s not under my control and which do I need to steer with concentrated effort?

This makes me wonder… Ain’t it very true … that god’s timetable plays a major role in designing our destiny and your destiny is not always the one you seek, but always the one that finds you?

-Manasi

1 comment:

Cyril said...

We need to make our own destiny.