Pages

Friday, November 07, 2008

Funny!

Someone very close to me was reminded of his childhood chemistry teacher Kartik Tilakam, a tamilian who also filled in for some of their English lessons.
The teacher had a very peculiar way of announcing the word ‘Moon’ whenever it appeared in the text and that sounded very funny. He always went like – A ‘yum a ‘woh’ a yet another ‘woh’ and a ‘yen’ is MOON.

I was quickly reminded of a similar incident, from my post graduation days, where a lecturer teaching Industrial Microbiology was giving a lecture on Brewing. He frequently bumped into a word we hardly could make sense of… he kept saying ‘cham-pa-ge-nee’ as if it were to be some female sounding name like ‘Champakali’, only later realizing that he was referring to ‘Champagne’ – an alcoholic beverage!

It’s funny how some people are peculiar with what they say and what they do and just stick to what they believe in and never bother if things fall in general norms of acceptance.

Kind of amused me today!

-Manasi

1 comment:

Cyril said...

Cool. Some of the other famous ones are
1. Open the window let the air force come in.
2. Another one which really happened in my BE days were a lecturer explaining why he was on leave the previous day " I had been to mud making ceremony". A Kannadiga can explain this.
3. I have two daughters, unfortunately both are girls.

I can just keep going on and on abt this.

Good post. It took me back to my college days.

Ciao

Cyril