Pages

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

World Cheers for Change - A Living American Dream!

It's been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America….

…This is our time - to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth - that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism and doubt, and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people: yes, we can.” democrat Barack Obama gave in Tuesday the victory speech before a crowd of 125,000 ecstatic supporters gathered in Chicago's Grant Park, after he captured the White House, defeating Republican John McCain to make history as the first African-American president and the nation’s 44th president.

Could the speech be more invigorating? I wonder!

I have never been inclined to politics per se… But last night, it was truly the first time I was witnessing such an exhilarating moment of glory on my television set. My hubby was all glued to the television as soon as he was home from work. I imagined myself being one amongst the vibrant crowd cheering for the promise of America, responding in unison that we should have been there in Chicago to feel the spirit of this nation.

I thoroughly rejoiced in the making of these historic moments. I was moved to see how many people participated in this process, coming together and wanting to be part of a change in a new direction - looking at the huge fervent crowds in emotion, touchy-feely, ecstatic, in an awestruck wonder acknowledging in obeisance what their new demigod was addressing to them on - Change has come to America, Victory for the people, The tasks ahead, Remaking the nation, One nation, one people, Role of America in the world, A history of struggle… lastly on the very moment… recapitulating on “Yes, we can.”

There are not even words to talk about what this night means,” “Everybody keeps using the word historic — there’s never been a night like this on the planet earth… Nothing can compare to this. She’s rarely at a loss for words on her television show, but just moments before Barack Obama was declared the President-Elect, Oprah Winfrey was almost speechless. People were speechless. The world out there was speechless. I was speechless!

Barack Obama – A Living Dream of America. The world sees Obama's victory as a new beginning for America. A new dream for the world - to change the world for a better place. Because the thing about America is - for better or worse - it doesn’t look back.

For a moment so mesmerized in this country’s victory, the next moment I was forced to visualize a scenario of my country. Whether this kind of reawakening could happen from my country too? Lots of questions just pop up in my mind - Why don’t I hear the political speakers speak in India? Why don’t we have such strength coming from India? Where and why does my nation falter? Where does all the merit and caliber that’s furnished go? I have only read about Gandhi and Nehru in my history books. I don’t see them in reality. People till date swear by their accomplishments. But why isn’t history recreated? Why do we not have notable chiefs and dynamic leaders to revolutionize my country? When will I ever experience such an awestruck, enriching, heartfelt emotion for my own country? I only wish and hope …

But for now having chosen a genuinely deserving candidate as their President … I rejoice with America, for America and from America.

-Manasi

4 comments:

Vaidehi said...

Wow - very similar to my thoughts here ! - http://vaidehist.blogspot.com/2008/11/face-of-hope.html

Cyril said...

A Black Knight in a White House!!A change is something all of us look forward too. A change is something we ought to rejoice. He has made history by becoming the first Black President.Lets hope Barack turns a new chapter in American future too. Young leaders like Pilot, Rahul, Schindia should come forward and lead India thorugh a change, a change which we so badly need.

Anonymous said...

I should be the change that I want to see happen...these were my thoughts on the momentous day.

Shubhra said...

Well said.I think we all shd feel extrememly fortunate to witness this most historical moment right here in the US.the whole experience y'day was quite surreal in a way.kudos to America!