Pages

Monday, December 22, 2008

Fish Fish!

I never understood the penchant for raw food here in United States of America. For some, eating their vegetables raw is a great deal by itself. The place where I come from, believes in the concept of cooked food be it vegetables, dairy, meat, poultry or seafood. I never could imagine people eating and relishing frogs, snakes and octopuses in some parts of the world. I have heard of an alligator eating a man, I haven't heard of a man eating an alligator. God! do I have to give ears to that too!

I was in Vancouver last month and there I chanced upon some Japanese cuisine. I tried a dragon roll to start with, which consisted of shrimp tempura, crab meat and eel and to my surprise I enjoyed it... It was delicious. And then I tried the oyster sushi which was yummy too. I somehow started feeling that the raw seafood is not so bad after all. It tastes different for sure but at the same time it really makes wonders on the palate. I've come to like it and guess have developed the taste for it now. I came back and narrated my experience to a friend of mine who spent some time in Japan and could never make himself give in to raw food like sushi or sashimi. He gave a scornful remark on that and told I have become a total 'junglee' of late.

My hubby also should have the same opinion I think given that he is a vegetarian.

I love seafood. I really get tempted when someone starts talking of fish that he or she has eaten and savored or when suggesting recipes of fish curries (Goan or Keralean) or the cookery shows on preparing various fish dishes that I myself watch on TV. Recently in a seafood restaurant on the ocean drive of Miami Beach, Florida I relished a nice and simple preparation of the Tilapia fish for dinner. After that, at the Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park in Miami, I ate a local dish of a fish called Mahi Mahi prepared in an ethnic style for lunch - big chunks of the fish in a very moist, tangy, spicy and seasoned rice preparation. Yummilicious! Loved each and every bit of this dish. Then I ate some Tuna sushi on some other occasion in Key West. The reason why I am talking about fish today is that I have an irresistible craving of a good spicy and savory fish curry made Indian style ... Ah! the thought of it is mouth-watering ... but that's it ... can't go beyond that ... can't go fishing for the fish now ... I guess am gonna just suffice myself with my own preparation of some mushroom and zucchini in lieu of that.

I will make it up for this craving some other day. I promise myself!

-Manasi

A man's palate can, in time, become accustomed to anything. - Napoleon Bonaparte

1 comment:

Cyril said...

Its supposed to be "nomadic", going places and eating raw food.

Now I am wondering did i miss something???